Tour de Personal Finance 2011 – Final Championship Sprint on the "Parisian Champs-Élysées" of Personal Finance

Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!

The 2011 Tour de Personal Finance has been an absolute 100% success (far beyond anything I could have imagined!). A big thanks goes out to everyone that has participated in the Stages and to the hundreds of voters who have stopped by to support their favorite authors/articles.

Later this week, I’ll write up a Tour de Personal Finance recap, post-race show, and awards ceremony to talk about what happened this year and how I envision the event growing in the coming years. But, that’s enough of that commentary for now!

Without further ado, let’s continue on with the final, 17th Stage (the final championship sprint) of the 2011 My Personal Finance Journey Tour de Personal Finance (to follow all of the action, click on the Tour de Personal Finance category link and scroll down to read all the posts involved in this subject).

There are only 2 blogs/posts remaining in the 2011 Tour, so the competition should be quite interesting in this Stage! To view the most up-to-date brackets of the competition, click the following link –2011 Tour de PF Bracket

Going along with Tour de France cycling tradition, I’ve listed each competition within each stage as an “intermediate sprint” (one post versus another) along with the description provided by the blog author when the post was submitted.

Also, if applicable, I will give a brief description of the stage of the Tour de France that took place the same day as the competition.

How to Vote

You can vote for the one article (since there’s only one intermediate sprint today) you’d like to see proceed in the Tour by commenting in the comments section below and telling which are your favorites.

I’ve listed a keyword after each post title to make it easy to vote (as a made-up example, you can just comment: Sprint 1: Mutual; Sprint 2: 401k, etc.) Be sure to comment which one you like the best out of each set of two! Criteria for the best article is completely up to you, but you can use these factors as a guide: 1) post of your favorite blogger, 2) most interesting post, 3) most thought-provoking post, 4) most unique post, or 5) most actionable post.

Here is today’s competitions:

Voting will continue until July 28th for this Stage!

Intermediate Sprint # 1
  • This isn’t your grandparents’ recession (Grandparents):
    Ever since the recession began I think there’s WAY too much blaming of the victims. I’m good and sick of hearing pundits grumble about how lazy and soft Americans have become, and how we ought to take a few lessons from the Great Depression. Here’s the thing: The world was a different place back then. Heaven knows I’m no apologist for slackers, credit-card spendthrifts or people who won’t take anything but the “right” job, but a lot of the advice our elders offered/modeled isn’t relevant today. Plenty of folks are in big trouble not because they’re lazy, but because of complex personal, local, national and global economic issues.

• If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt (Debt): What would I do if I won a million dollars? This post describes how I’d invest every last penny, scrutinizing tax benefits, risk, returns, real estate, and why I would go into debt — yes, I would go into debt — if I were a millionaire. And don’t just take my word for it: Einstein backs me up, and so does third-world poverty theory. Read this post to find out more.

Tour de France Daily Recap

Today is also the last Stage for the riders in the 2011 Tour de France, with the riders traveling 160 km from Creteil to the Champs-Elysees in Paris.

Barring a major accident out on the open road, the Australian, Cadel Evans, will end the day as the overall winner of the 2011 race.

Cadel took the race lead by doing a consistent ride throughout the high mountain stages and then throwing down the gauntlet with a STELLAR final time trial yesterday in Grenoble to take the yellow jersey only the day before Paris!

Alberto Contador, the all-around favorite for overall victory this year, came up lacking in the final mountain stages of this year’s race. In my opinion, Contador most likely was the best rider in this year’s Tour de France, but since he doesn’t focus his training solely for victory in the Tour (he wants to win races in May and September as well), he wasn’t in peak form. This just makes me realize and appreciate how hard and rare it is to find a rider such as Lance Armstrong who can win the biggest bike race in the world for 7 years IN A ROW without making a single mistake. It really is a testament to Lance’s ability as a rider.

***Photo courtesy of

1. Grandparents
      My recent post The Ultimate Roth 401(k) Guide

2. Sandra J says:

Grandparents – thanks for having tghe race!

3. Grandparents

…. but I must say, this is a hard as $hit one to answer! I love what both bloggers are about, esp the newer afford-anything on the scene. well done to both y'all! 🙂
      My recent post 5 For Friday: Your Nasty Debt!

4. great articles, both of them, had to vote one, so, for being closest to reality

(sorry Paula, yours was great too, but i can vote only one)

My recent post Yakezie Carnival – Best Of Yakezie This Week

5. Grandparents
      My recent post Blog roundup: Cartesian dualism edition.

6. grandparents

7. Both posts offer a lot of food for thought–well done both of you! My vote however will be for Grandparents.

8. Andrea @SoOverDebt says:

I haven't voted in every round, but I've really enjoyed this competition! I hate to see it come to an end.
      My recent post Are You an Emotional Spender?

9. Definitely, Grandparents!

10. Grandparents gets my vote!
      My recent post Hell Yeah!!! Or Just, “No.”

11. Both good posts… but I have to pick

My recent post What the Cheapskate is Reading

12. affordanything says:

Debt … this has been a fun race!
      My recent post Savings Snowball: New Method for Saving More

13. Grandparents!

14. Shoot… I gotta go grandparents. tough one!!! Congrats to both for getting to this point. It was a lot of fun!
      My recent post Link Love: The Splash Park Edition

15. Grandparents!!!!
      My recent post Friend's Friday!

16. Grandparents

17. Grandparents
      My recent post How to save money on magazine subscriptions

18. Glenn Fisher says:

Definitely “Grandparents !!!!!!!

19. Grandparents. Vive Le Tour!
      My recent post Yakezie Banzai

20. Grandparents.
      My recent post Putting a Hold on Impulsive Jumps

21. Reta Davis says:

Grandparents, an classic!

22. jesse18660 says:

Definitely the article about Grandparents! Enjoyed this so much and the memories and stories that have been passed down thru the family.

23. Harry Martin says:

I read both, but I think Grandparents offers the best across-the-board insight.

24. Debt.

Both articles were excellent.

25. Grandparents!
      My recent post The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

26. Debt. Good luck, Paula!

27. Grantparents (congrats to both finalists!)
      My recent post New Giveaway Sponsors – Now 15 Prizes Valued at Over $400

28. Grandparents

Both posts were really good, it was a tough choice between the two. Grandparents just resonated a little more, but both were really good. Congrats to both bloggers for making this round!
      My recent post Workplace Benefits Changing: What Matters, and What Does This Trend Mean?

29. Would…this is a tough one from two great authors, Donna and Paul. I'm going to stick with my voting earlier in the competition and go with Grandparents. Great race!
      My recent post 17 Back to School Clothes Shopping Tips to Save Money on Kids

30. The Penny Hoarder says:

Grandparents is my vote!

31. KNS_Financial says:

Grandparents – this was such a close call!
      My recent post Using Morningstar for Mutual Fund Research

32. Grandparents

33. World of Finance says:

Tough choice… but I'll vote for Debt.
      My recent post What is Financial Freedom?

34. I'll vote for Debt.

35. Debt.

Both great posts. AND….Debt tells me what to do to stop suffering long-term. Grandparents tells me it is not my fault and there are no easy solutions–but gives me no help to move toward something better. Debt gives me tools to work with, a direction to move in.

The good feeling from reading grandparents will last until I have to pay my next bill–then reality sets in again. So that one is a short term escape–instant gratification. The last thing I want to do is escape this problem for a few more minutes–but do nothing to resolve it. Maybe instant gratification is the reason we have to write and read these things in the first place? Maybe?

36. Gotta go DEBT!!!!

37. Bill Sisk says:

38. Debt

39. Debt. Great work all!

40. Raju Kharel says:

41. Lekha Kharel says:

42. Debt.

43. Grandparents

44. Grandparents

45. Jennifer says:

Interesting set of articles

46. Grandparents

47. Grandparents.

48. Voting for the championship round is now closed. Donna Freedman with Grandparents is the Tour de Personal Finance champion!!!! Way to go Donna! Congrats to both bloggers for getting this far in the competition!
      My recent post You're Homeless. How Would You Improve Your Situation?

49. affordanything says:

Congratulations Donna!! Your post was excellent!
      My recent post 5 Habits That Help Me Save Without Trying