Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!
Park on the driveway or in the garage
Have a steering lock
Add an experienced driver to a young person’s insurance
Reduce your mileage
How about you all? What methods/techniques do you use to save money on car insurance? Do you use any of the ones listed above? How much do you pay on car insurance per year?
Share your experiences by commenting below!
Jacob’s Thoughts – Listed below are my random thoughts as I was reading this article.
- @ Parking off of the street in a driveway or garage to lower your car insurance –
- While it definitely makes sense that parking your car off of the street when it is not in use would reduce your risk of getting hit (and possibly having to tap in to your insurance if the other driver isn’t insured), I’m not certain that this will get you a discount in the United States.
- This is due to the fact that if your car is parked and it gets hit by another car/driver, it would be quite rare for the driver of a parked car to be found “at fault.” Furthermore, it is required by law in the US for every driver to have (at a minimum) liability insurance covering the other driver in the event that the wreck is your fault.
- Does anyone have experience with this aspect (I’m not much of an expert when it comes to car insurance)?
- @ Having a steering lock to prevent theft –
- Steering locks used to be VERY popular in the US for a brief period of time. It was almost like they were a “fad” which came and has now faded.
- In fact, it’s quite rare that I see people with a steering lock on their car.
***Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/stignygaard/194225065/sizes/l/in/photostream/