Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!
One thing that has been on my blog radar for quite some time now is to start putting together a weekly roundup. For about 5 months now, I’ve had a general idea about what theme I wanted the ongoing roundup series to have, what I wanted to include as far as content, and the overall purpose.
What’s the purpose, you might be asking? Simple! I feel like with a roundup, I’ll be able to connect with you, the readers, on a more personal (non personal finance informational transmission only) level, encourage community, and also to give back to the other bloggers around the blogosphere who have mentioned My Personal Finance Journey throughout the past week.
As far as the theme goes, the title of the roundup gives it away. The roundup theme is named after the Lionel Richie song, Easy Like Sunday Morning, to remind us of the importance of slowing down at least once a week to take appreciation for that which transpired over the past few days.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Weekly Updates from Jacob’s Personal Finance Journey and Life
- Unfortunately, I was not able to get away to attend the 1st ever Financial Blogger Conference in Chicago this past week. However, I have very much been enjoying reading all of the detailed recap posts from the >200 bloggers who did attend.
- Free From Broke included a very detailed listing of all of the posts around the blogosphere recaping the conference in his recap post, and Good Financial Cents posted an AMAZING video featuring interviews with close to 30 of the bloggers and sponsors.
- As far as my personal finances go, this past week has been pretty routine, with no big expenditures occurring. The main thing I am planning for right now is to save $700 for a trip to New York City in November to accompany my girlfriend (who runs a wine blog called The Academic Wino, which I’d recommend checking out) when she does the New York City Marathon on November 6th.
- As far as my life in general, this past week, I have been continuing my graduate school research in Alzheimer’s disease in my lab (see picture of me at my lab work area below, of course sporting the proper PPE!) and have started a new half marathon training program to get ready for the Richmond Suntrust Half-Marathon in mid-November. My best time for this race is 1 hour 30 minutes. We’ll see if I can get close to this this year. Should be fun nonetheless!
|Yours truly in my lab explaining the Alzheimer’s research I do to my parents during a tour.|
My Favorite 10 Posts of the Past Week
- PT Money posted about How to Manage Your Credit Card Bill After a Setback.
- Financial Highway posted about 10 Important Nutrients and How You Can Get Them Cheap.
- Yes, I am Cheap posted about Why I Make $20 Per Tweet on Twitter and You Don’t.
- Andrea at So Over Debt posted about Stalking JD Roth at the FINCON11, but it was only stalking in the non-scary way!
- Bible Money Matters posted about Do You Really NEED It? Or Just Want It?
- Canadian Finance Blog posted about This is Why You’re Screwed.
- Christian PF posted about The Art of Shopping for Relatives.
- Sam at Financial Samurai posted about Only the Poor or Super Rich Say “Money Can’t Buy Happiness.”
- Frugal Dad posted about Channel Your Inner Science Nerd to Make Extra Money.
- Budgets are Sexy posted about Financial Spam Mail (which I get tons of. No State Farm – I don’t need more insurance!!).
If you’re interested in submitting an article for consideration/inclusion to this roundup, just email me by clicking here. Since I’m only 1 guy without a time-machine to give me unlimited time each day, sometimes I miss some really good articles in the blogosphere, and it’s good to be notified of them directly.
Guest Posts from Personal Finance Bloggers on My Personal Finance Journey
There were no guest posts from other PF bloggers on My Personal Finance Journey this week. Let’s change that, shall we?
If you’re an individual PF blogger (not a company that has a blog) and would like to guest post on my site, please click here to read more details about how to kick off the guest posting process. I’d love to hear from you!
Blasts From the Past
For the first 6 months after I started this blog, I pretty much “blogged in a cave.” What I mean by this is that I cranked out over 200 very good blog articles in this time period, but since I didn’t know any better, I didn’t reach out to other bloggers, get involved with the online community through commenting on other sites, or do any kind of site promotion at all. As you can imagine, some of the articles written during this time period didn’t get the attention that I think they deserved corresponding to the content contained.
The Blast from the Past section will feature one old My Personal Finance Journey article each week that I feel is high quality, but was published prior to my blog having any sort of real readership. This week’s article is listed below:
Personal Finance “Mad Props” of the Week Award
Every once in a while, when I’m reading an article or site in the personal finance blogosphere, I’ll be so impressed in hearing about what a person did or wrote about, that all I can say to myself is WOW! This section of the roundup will serve as a running “home” for recognizing outstanding achievement.
The winner this week is J. Money from Budgets Are Sexy. He won head-over-heels more Plutus Awards at this year’s Financial Blogger Conference than anyone else, runs an incredibly entertaining blog, and spearheads the charitable Love Drop event on top of being a full-time blogger.
If you know of someone in the PF blogging world that is really doing amazing things, feel free to send me an email for consideration in future roundups.
- Accountant By Day is giving away over $200 is cash prizes during the entire month of October.
- Squirrelers is giving away $75 in gift cards through October 11th.
- The Penny Hoarder is giving away a Nintendo Wii Bundle with Mario Kart through October 30th.
- The Thousandaire is giving away close to the $700 in prizes through October 15th. I’m sponsoring one of the prizes too!
- Free Money Finance is giving away free tickets for a dinner and fundraising show where you can meet him.
- Buck Inspire and Retire by 40 have teamed up to give away a Kindle Fire and a Mango Passport Bundle to celebrate their 1 year blogging anniversary (both of them started on the same day) until November 7th.
If you’re hosting a giveaway and it’s not listed above, please send me an email to let me know, and I’ll get it included in next week’s roundup!
Blog Carnivals Featuring My Personal Finance Journey Articles
- Totally Money hosted The Totally Money Blog Carnival and included Budgeting for Your Holiday? Don’t Forget Travel Insurance.
- Control Your Cash hosted the Carnival of Wealth and included Zecco Investing Brokerage Review.
- Nerd Wallet hosted the Festival of Frugality and included 1% Commission Real Estate Agents – Are They Worth the Savings?.
- The Military Wallet hosted the Carnival of Financial Planning and included Are You Really Doing Everything You Can to Save for the Future?
- Health Insurance Colorado hosted the Cavalcade of Risk and included Budgeting for Your Holiday? Don’t Forget Travel Insurance.
- Arbor Investment Planner Blog hosted the 1st ever Self-Directed Investing for Retirement Carnival and included Vanguard vs. Fidelity – Which Funds are Better? .
- Family Money Values hosted the Yakezie Carnival and included How Checking Your Credit Report Can Stop Identity Theft.
Top 10 Referring Sites to My Personal Finance Journey This Past Week
- Life Hacker (700 visits in one afternoon)
- Pulse News
- Free Money Finance
- A Rich Life
- Arbor Investment Planner Blog
- Health Insurance Colorado
- Consumerism Commentary
- Control Your Cash
- One Cent at a Time
Top 5 My Personal Finance Journey Commenters From the Past Week
Best Reader Submitted Question From the Past Week
My Other Sites
However, I have several other domain names purchased, and I am currently learning WordPress Self-Hosted to get these sites live as soon as time allows! I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on progress.
Well, that wraps up this week! If you have any suggestions or recommendations for things you’d like to see in this weekly roundup, just let me know by sending me an email!
As always, thanks to all the readers for creating such a great community here at My Personal Finance Journey. Your interaction is what keeps me going on this blog!
Until next time – Jacob