Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!
Click here to enter my free $196 giveaway for a chance to win 5% of My Personal Finance Journey blog income and give another 5% to a charity of your choosing! Deadline to enter is January 31st, 2012.
The following is a guest post. Enjoy!
How It Works
Shop For Options
What If It’s Worthless?
How about you all? Have you gotten a new phone recently? How did you handle either disposing of or recycling your old phone?
Did you sell it somewhere or exchange it at your mobile phone carrier store for an upgrade?
Share your experiences by commenting below!
Jacob’s Thoughts – Listed below are my random thoughts as I was reading this article.
- Interesting article here, especially with how many people I know did either get their first Smart Phone, or at least upgraded their phone, this Christmas!
- @ The market for recycling old phones –
- Since phones have become so much more advanced in recent years, they are really more like small computers instead of just phones (like they probably used to be).
- And, I never really considered (until now) of how much value they probably still have because of their internal components even after you are “finished” with a certain model and have upgraded.
- In fact, I never really thought about the “second hand phone” market at all, come to think of it!
- @ My experiences with upgrading or replacing my cell phone –
- In my experience, when I have brought in my phone to my mobile company (Verizon) for a replacement, they tend to ALWAYS have some requirement in the deal that enables them to keep the phone – either you lose your phone contacts if you don’t allow them to “recycle” your phone or you have to give them your old phone in order to upgrade with a contract extension and take advantage of a deep discount on a new phone.
- Now, I understand why; they are able to sell it and make some money out of the exchange! Interesting!
- Personally, I have never tried to sell my phone through an independent source. However, it’s definitely something I will have to keep in mind going forward!
***Photo courtesy of http://farm1.static.flickr.com/84/275333689_fef2a7c76a.jpg