Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!
The 10% give back giveaway fun rolls on for the month of April!
In case you missed the first six editions of the 10% Blog Income Give Back, after doing some thinking at the beginning of October 2011 about what direction I want this blog to grow and evolve towards in the future, I decided that any income made from this blog would have more significance to me at a personal life values level if I knew that a portion were being given back to the following places:
- 1) The readers – Obviously, without you here to read my articles and interact with my ideas, there would be no blog in the first place (let alone blog income). As such, it is only fitting that you receive a portion of any blog income.
- 2) Charitable organizations – If you’ve read my blog before, you know that I’m a big believer in donating a portion of my money to charity. Each year, I donate between 5-10% of my income to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society as part of the Bike for MS fundraiser that I do. Beyond the good that is done by donating your money, getting used to contributing to charity is also a good practice to emulate the actions of affluent individuals (T. Harv Eker discusses this in his book, Secrets of the Millionaire Mind, which I would definitely recommend reading if you have a few hours).
Because of these considerations, I’ve decided that each month going forward, I’m going to give away 10% of my net (after-tax) blogging income/profit to My Personal Finance Journey readers (5%) and to charity (5%). Listed below is how the process will work:
- After each calendar month passes, I’ll tally up my net blog income and determine what Dollar value correlates to 10%.
- I’ll post the giveaway (similar to this post you’re reading now), and you’ll have approximately 2-3 weeks to enter.
- Once the giveaway is over, a grand prize winner will be announced, and then I’ll donate another 5% of my blog income to a charity. Once the giveaway entry window ends, I’ll send out the money to the blog reader winner(s) and personally drop off the charity donation.
- So far, I’ve been very happy with the success of the first 6 editions of the 10% income give back. Read on below for some of the details:
- In October, $205 total was given away, with $100 being donated to the charity, GreenPeace.
- In November, $201.40 total was given away, with $100 being donated to the charity, The Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. If you’re interested, you can view the details of me going to drop off the check at the Food Bank by clicking here.
- In December, $74.52 total was given away, with $38 given to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Blue Ridge. You can view the details of the donation drop by clicking here.
- In January, $196 total was given away, with $96 given to the Sexual Assault Resource Agency. You can view the details of the donation drop by clicking here.
- In February, $141.20 total was given away, with $70 given to the Blue Ridge Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- In March, $64.51 total was given away, with $30 given to the Blue Ridge Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- $46.95 total blog income to give away – $25 to a My Personal Finance Journey reader and $21.95 to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Blue Ridge Chapter.
- $25 in the form of one prize available to one reader as follows –
- 1) Grand Prize = $25 Amazon Gift Card or $25 cash via PayPal.
- It’s been very fulfilling developing a relationship with the local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society through the MS150 fundraising bike ride I do each year.Click here to see the details for the 2012 edition of the ride I’ll be doing! I look forward to continuing to raise money for their efforts.
How to Enter the Giveaway – Deadline to Enter is Midnight, April 30th, 2012
Like last month, I’ve decided to use the RaffleCopter giveaway management tool to handle sign-up facilitation for the April giveaway, so simply go through the steps listed in the widget below to enter the running for the prize and accumulate entry points.
There is no limit to the amount of points you can earn. If you refer 10 subscribers – your name will have accumulated 170 entry points! Or, if you link to the giveaway more than once, you can accumulate those 7 entry points multiple times. You can also retweet the giveaway and/or share other My Personal Finance Journey articles via social media sites once per day. In the event of a tie, I will be using a random number generator to select the winner.
a Rafflecopter giveaway