Welcome to My Personal Finance Journey! If you are new here, please read the “About” or “First-Time Visitor” pages to find out more about us. If you would like to receive free updates on articles like this by email, then sign up here or you can subscribe to the RSS feed. Also, check us out on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks for visiting! Keep on learning!
Click here to enter my free $65.84 giveaway for a chance to win 5% of My Personal Finance Journey blog income and give another 5% to charity! Deadline to enter is May 31st, 2013.
I simply love the Tour de France.
There is truly something magical about watching this particular 3 week cycling race unfold in July each summer. In the race, the riders cover nearly 2,000 miles, including stages through the majestic Alpine Mountain range and the sunflower and vineyard fields of Southern France. As an avid cycling fan and past Category 2 road cycling racer (I raced once-upon-a-time from 2001-2005), July is a truly a glorious time of year.
For the 3rd year in a row in July 2013, MyPersonalFinanceJourney.com will be hosting the Debt Free Direct Tour de Personal Finance. The Tour de Personal Finance is a month-long Tour de France-themed personal finance-blogging competition. In 2011-2012 (the first two years for the event), thanks to AWESOME participation by the PF blogger community, the Tour was a great success. This year, I’d love to have you participate once again!
WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE TOUR DE PERSONAL FINANCE?
HOW THE TOUR DE PERSONAL FINANCE WORKS
- Personal finance bloggers will submit their best, highest quality post from the past year (only one post) to me via email (see below for details of how to submit a post) before July 1st.
- The posts will separated in to brackets based on the category of the article. Next, the posts will be paired off using a random number generator..
- The paired posts will “compete” against each other each day in a stage (what they call each day of racing in the Tour de France), which will be posted on My Personal Finance Journey.
- Readers will comment on the post to vote for which post they think is better. The post with the most votes each day will be declared the STAGE WINNER.
- The stage winners will move on to the next round, where they will square off against other stage winners. Again, the best post each day will be voted for by the readers.
- The blog author will be allowed to vote for him/herself. Others will most likely do it, so you should too! But, no gaming of the system will be allowed. Entrants will, however, be allowed to ask their friends to vote for them, promote the contest on their site, etc.
- At the end of the month, the final winner of the competition will be crowned the Maillot Jaune (or the yellow jersey, which is given to the overall winner of the Tour de France each year). Ties will be broken by me.
- Yellow Jersey – Winner of overall competition. Article voted “best” by readers. See “Changes in This Year’s Event” section below for details on the prize for the winner and the charity selection component.
- White Jersey – Goes to highest placing, new blog (judged by how far they get in the competition and how long they have been blogging).
- Green Jersey – Goes to the blog whose article wins a single stage “the fastest.” In other words, the Green Jersey goes to the blog who wins a single stage by the biggest margin against their competitor.
- Polka-Dot Jersey – Goes to the best blog article entered which details information on “climbing” out of the debt “mountain”.
HOW TO ENTER
- Name and URL of blog.
- URL and title of your best article from last 12 months.
- A concise 2-5 sentence description of the post (this will be posted on each stage’s announcement, so really SELL why post should win!).
- The month and year in which you started blogging (will be used to determine White Jersey winner).
SOME INFORMATION ABOUT LAST YEAR’S EVENT
SOME EXCITING NEWs / CHANGES FOR THIS YEAR’S TOUR
- Last year, there were 52 different personal finance blogs/articles that participated. For the 2013 event, I am targeting to have 64 different blogs/articles competing. This should be do-able since I’m getting started organizing things 2 weeks earlier than last year!
- I will be reserving the reader portion of my 10% monthly blog income give back event for both June and July as prize money to the Yellow Jersey winner (~$50). The Yellow Jersey winner will also select a charity of their choice to receive the charity portion of the 10% monthly blog income give back (~$50).
- Lastly, in the 2013 event, I have actively been seeking out platinum, gold, silver, and bronze sponsorships from various companies and advertising representatives in the PF realm. I am proud to announce that Debt Free Direct has enthusiastically jumped on board as our platinum/title partner, so you’ll be seeing some information about what they offer interspersed throughout the Stages of the event. I will be donating half (50%) of all sponsorship proceeds to a charity selected by the overall competition winner (Yellow Jersey), which will be really fun!